Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Photo by Driely S. for Racked
- Call it the leader of the 'pack: Chanel paraded its graffiti-printed canvas backpack down the spring 2014 runway before it was seen on big-time blogger The Blonde Salad (previous image) and celebrities ranging from Miley Cyrus to Gwyneth Paltrow (o
- Ponyhair, the world's least practical material, meets rucksack, the world's most utilitarian bag, in Jerome Dreyfuss's Florent,
- That last one not hairy enough for you? Enter Maison Martin Margiela'scalf-hair backpack, $2,345, which kind of looks like an adorable-y
- All those Jansport feels in a print called "babycat pattern" by Saint Laurent. Yours for $950—that's right, no com
- We live in a world where Jeremy Scott runs Moschino, and in it is this tromp l'oeil biker backpack, $2,300, so you can confuse everyone with a tiny fron
- And from the Balenciaga of Alexander Wang comes the quiet, streamlined Phileas backpack, at the plane-ticket-to-Europe cost of
- Meanwhile, from Alexander Wang's namesake line comes the Dumbo backpack, $1,195, in painted leather wi
- This Pierre Hardy AV01 backpack will run you $2,150, but it's made of metallic silver-grained deerskin for g
- Despite the name, Stella McCartney's "quilted shaggy deer" backpack, $1,595, involves no deer (nor shag): Like all
- One more deer, then we can move on: Givenchy's Bambi print lives on and on, now reincarnated in backpack form for $1,195.
- "Dis a Proenza!" shouts the recognizable closure on this $1,675 mini backpack from the brand.
- For the self-aware slave to fashion, 3.1 Phillip Lim offers the Name Drop backpack, at $1,200 for a tongue-in-cheek non-logo logo
- For $4,400, this drawstring style from The Row is a steal compared to the twins'
- Kenzo's boxy Raindrop Backpack with skinny straps is a comparative steal at $800.
- Similarly "cheap" is Reece Hudson's Siren backpack, $895, conjuring up all your favorite '90s witches (The Craf
There has been an utter explosion of fashion backpacks, and nearly every high-end designer has given the school-day staple an ultra-luxe spin: Alexander McQueen offers one for a whopping $2,195, Rick Owens has a style that will run you $2,035, and Stella McCartney's $1,225 drawstring backpack is sold out on Net-a-Porter. But where did this sudden and thorough show of fancy rucksacks come from?
We call it The Perfect Fashion Backpack Storm, and its elements include:
· never-ending Clueless nostalgia
· the related resurgence of '90s fashion including the little Prada backpack
· The Row's 2011 debut into bags which famously included a $39,000 drawstring backpack—the silhouette has since become a brand staple, and the line won the 2014 CFDA accessories award with it as part of their line-up
· Chanel's spring 2014 runway backpacks (pictured above) and their resultant appearance on Important Fashion People like Lucky's Eva Chen and celebrities like brand friend Lily Allen and brand fan Khloe Kardashian
For some, this is a happy step in the direction of comfort and utility, right in line with fashion's embrace of flat shoes and oversized clothes. Others aren't sold: "I never was a backpack person," Barneys Creative Ambassador-at-Large said. "My gay sister was always working a backpack, and it's a little too hearty for me." That, of course, hasn't stopped the department store from stocking dozens of iterations of crazy expensive ones—you have to give the people what they want (they want this, right?).
In the gallery below, see 15 of the most outrageously expensive, luxe, and gorgeous backpacks on the market, from big brands like Saint Laurent, Givenchy, and Balenciaga. Not pictured is the winner of the award for Most Horrifically Unattractive While Still Being Wildly Expensive AND Shockingly Tiny, which belongs to MCM, earned with this $3,200 monstrosity, currently on pre-order. (For something a little more palatable, price-wise, try this $410 backpack from Racked Young Guns finalist Kara, Rebecca Minkoff's boxy Love backpack for $375, or Fossil's straight-from-the-'90s Reissue Sling at $198).