Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
During a casual chat between weatherman Al Roker and Angelina Jolie, the topic of conversation quickly turned to food, and the type of food Angie prepares in her home. To wit:
I can do a really interesting Afghan dish with eggplant but I don't know how to do basic spaghetti. I'm just that person.
Should you too want to be just that person, here are a few recipes she's maybe talking about, listed in order of guesstimated difficulty.
1. This recipe will hold your hand through every step of the way: Boranii Banjan: Afghan Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce.
2. For the slightly more well-seasoned chef: Banjaan Charikari/Eggplant Stew
3. For the meat lovers, this one calls for lamb: Persian Khoresht Bodemjoon: Eggplant and Lamb Stew
4. A tikka! With video: Afghani Tikka and Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce
5. Bonus points for protein-packed chicken and wonderful photography: Saffron-Scented Aubergine Stew