Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
For the stars who will walk away from the 87th Academy Awards with a golden statue, congrats. For the nominees who lose, still congrats—you'll still be the proud owner of a super expensive goodie bag. According to Page Six, last year's gift bags were only worth $88K, making this year's roughly 70% pricier at roughly $150K. Price estimates vary, depending on the estimated cost of certain 'experiences' included in the package. The 'Playing-It-Safe' Academy handed the gift bag task to a company called Distinctive Assets, who pulled all stops of weird for the freebies offered to the nominees in the leading and supporting actor and actress role. Here goes:
- A haze vaporizer worth $249.99. Taking cues from Sarah Silverman?
- A Rocky Mountaineer luxury rail trip through the Canadian Rockies, worth $14,584.
- Something called a "Couples Love Shot, which can be an "orgasm shot" or penis-rejuvenation injection, from Dr. Charles Runels. This one's worth $5,000.
- A year's worth of Silvercar rentals, worth $20,000.
- A three-night stay at Villa Armena in Tuscany, worth $1,500. Italy would look good on Bradley Cooper.
- Customized candy and dessert buffet from Candy Vixen, worth $800.
- 10,000 meal donation of Halo Natural Pet Food to the shelter of your choice, worth $6,270.
- Limited-edition signed print from artist Gunner Fox, worth $5,000.
- An Afterglow Pulsewave Vibrator worth $250.
- A Broken Bones bicycle worth $1,000.
- Ventura Lipo-Light liposuction and fat reduction package, worth $4,068.
- A session with the founder of Enigma Life to discuss your horoscope and analyze your dreams, worth $20,000.
- A custom piece of furniture from EF+Facto, worth $25,000.
- A "Complete Lifestyle Makeover" from Reset Yourself, worth $14,239.
- Rouge maple syrup package worth $280. Yum, syrup.
To keep up with all of the strange red carpet news, outfits, and viral moments, pay a visit to our red carpet hub.