Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Customers who snapped up jeans for a penny each thanks to a special coupon code from Lucky Brand were enraged after the denim company canceled their orders, Bloomberg reports. The penny-per-jean code was supposed to be for internal use only, but made its way around the internet; shoppers were buying pairs of jeans valued at $100 to $130 for mere pennies, with no shipping fee. "I think, deep in our hearts, we all understood that this was an error, if not a complete hoax, but held hope that if we acted fast enough it would work out in our favor," Myka Fox wrote on Distractify.
A Lucky Brand spokesperson told Bloomberg in a statement: "This morning a promotional discount intended for Lucky Brand employees was released publicly. While we are appreciative of the response from customers, we are unable to fulfill orders placed using this code." The company tried to clear things up with a series of tweets directed at upset shoppers who thought Lucky Brand should honor purchases made with a valid promo code:
Today an employee discount was released publicly. We’ll be contacting those affected via email shortly. Thank you for your understanding.— Lucky Brand (@LuckyBrand) April 14, 2015
Thank you for voicing your concerns regarding today’s promotional code issue. We’d like to address some of your major comments:— Lucky Brand (@LuckyBrand) April 15, 2015
1. An employee promotional code was published online without our permission. Our website was not compromised and all customer data is safe.— Lucky Brand (@LuckyBrand) April 15, 2015
2. This offer was solely intended for our employees and was not advertised by us anywhere (in any capacity).— Lucky Brand (@LuckyBrand) April 15, 2015
3. "Final Sale" only applies to our clearance items ending in $0.97.— Lucky Brand (@LuckyBrand) April 15, 2015
4. Customers who placed an order will receive an email shortly w/ additional info including a coupon to be used on a future purchase.— Lucky Brand (@LuckyBrand) April 15, 2015
5. For more information, please refer to the Terms and Conditions on our website. Thank you for your understanding! http://t.co/S7E6zxiFAY— Lucky Brand (@LuckyBrand) April 15, 2015