Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Merely a week after revealing the title and the poster for the somehow-first-ever, highly necessary Justin Bieber mockumentary, The Lonely Island have debuted the first trailer.
Judging by these two minutes alone, it's clear that Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping will include plenty of jokes about celebrity culture in general — Will Arnett plays a version of TMZ founder Harvey Levin, the main character's album is titled Thriller Also, and has 32 people on his personal payroll, including a personal bagpiper and unicorn handler.
But there's also more than a few references to Bieber, just in case audiences weren't totally convinced the movie's about him. The titular character, Conner4Real, begins the trailer describing his relationship to his fans thusly: "My fans and me, we're in love. The arena is our bedroom. And the stage, the stage is where we fuck."
Elsewhere in clip, there's the following:
- Two holograms of Adam Levine humping each other (a Bieber hologram starred in a 2013 will.i.am music video)
- A giant neon sign spelling the word "HUMBLE"
- Usher, Bieber's original mentor
- Conner4Real attempting to make a basket over his head, failing, then proceeding to celebrate as if he made the shot, which is (hopefully) a veiled reference to Bieber's skateboarding skills
- A punny nickname for his fans (Confidants vs. Beliebers)
- Best of all, what appears to be a parody of Bieber's black-and-white Calvin Klein ads
Watch the full trailer below.