Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Your skin goes through a lot, especially on your face. And just as you deserve some down time, your skin does, too. Since skin can’t technically tell you exactly what it needs, the best thing is to start your self care with a spa-worthy at-home steam facial.
- Wash off your makeup and identify your skin type. At Mullein & Sparrow, there’s an herb for every ailment. If your skin is most definitely dry and red thanks to good old winter weather there’s a flower for it: roses. Crush up dried roses and toss them into a bowl to soothe inflamed skin — the lovely scent is a plus.
- For a burst of healing power, throw a mix of calendula and marigold into your bowl to mend skin that’s been scratched up by sharp winds, like the raw, red corners of your nose and mouth. No fancy tools needed — just roll up those sleeves and use your hands to get to work.
- If you’ve been blasting the heater on high all day (and who hasn’t been guilty of this?), a handful of nettle will provide the nourishment your skin’s been missing.
- A little bit sweet, a little bit spicy, helichrysum packs a powerful punch when it comes to lightening dark spots on the skin. Go ahead and mix that up in the bowl, followed by a deep inhale. If the scent alone hasn’t got you feeling relaxed already, the next step will.
- A few sprigs of lavender are the final ingredient to your soothing steam facial. Mix and breathe in the bliss.
- Slowly pour some hot (but not boiling) water into your bowl.
- Now here’s the best part: Tuck yourself and the bowl mixture underneath a large wash cloth or flannel and allow the steam to soothe and saturate your skin.
Stay in your steam tent for no longer than 20 minutes, and follow with any other skincare treatments you usually would. Because you’ve steamed your face, it’s now soft and smooth, and since your pores are opened up, that makes whatever else you put on after that much more effective. To watch how it’s done, have a look at the video below; and visit Mullein & Sparrow’s website to stock up on skin goodies you can use at home.