Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In case her successful fashion brands, best-selling books, and hit MTV shows (all plural, it must be noted!) weren’t enough to convince you, Lauren Conrad is a master marketer of the highest degree.
Now, the former star of The Hills has launched a collection of fine jewelry under her LC Lauren Conrad brand for Kohl’s — and, well, it’s a thoroughly Lauren Conrad production from start to finish, all rose gold and floral motifs. It’s all very pretty, and I’m sure LC diehards will head out in droves to shop it, despite the four-figure price tags.
Still, I have a few lingering questions:
1. This is just a less expensive version of Conrad’s actual engagement ring from William Tell, right?
2. Is it just me, or is a “buy one, get one half-off” deal on engagement rings kind of strange?
3. Is Lauren Conrad into O’Keefing now, too?
4. Be completely honest: Can you tell which of these rings costs $2,100 and which costs $12.60?
5. Would you wear a Lauren Conrad-branded engagement ring?
I do really want to know.