Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Eligibility: Racked’s ‘Just One Thing’ Giveaway Series (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of the United States who are at least eighteen (18) years of age. Employees, independent contractors, interns, officers, directors, and agents of Sponsor, other companies associated with the Sweepstakes, as well as the immediate family members (spouse, parents, siblings, and children, and their respective spouses) and household members of any of the foregoing are not eligible to enter.
- Sponsor: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Vox Media, Inc., 1201 Connecticut Avenue, 11th Floor, NW, Washington, DC 20036 (“Sponsor”).
- Agreement to Official Rules: By entering the Sweepstakes, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of, (a) these Official Rules and (b) Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
- Entry Period: The Sweepstakes will run from Monday May 8, 2017 at 12:00pm ET until Friday June 30, 2017 at 12:00pm ET (unless extended or earlier terminated by Sponsor in its sole discretion), with eight different entry periods during this time (one Drawing Day for each entry period), each beginning Monday 12:00pm ET and ending Friday 12:00pm ET, as follows: the first entry period will begin Monday May 8, 2017 and end on Friday May 12, 2017; the second entry period will begin Monday May 15, 2017 and end on Friday May 19, 2017; the third entry period will begin Monday May 22, 2017 and end on Friday May 26, 2017; the fourth entry period will begin Monday May 29, 2017 and end on Friday June 2, 2017; the fifth entry period will begin on Monday June 5, 2017 and end on Friday June 9, 2017; the sixth entry period will begin on Monday June 12, 2017 and end on Friday June 16, 2017; the seventh entry period will begin on Monday June 19, 2017 and end on Friday June 23, 2017; and the eighth entry period will begin on Monday June 26, 2017 and end on Friday June 30, 2017 (each, an “Entry Period”). Entries submitted before or after the respective Entry Period will not be eligible. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Sweepstakes.
- How to Enter: To enter, go to www.racked.com and subscribe to receive the ‘Racked Newsletter’ (“Newsletter”) (which is free) by entering your full legal name and email address on the applicable subscription form located under the ‘Subscribe’ tab. There is a limit of one (1) entry per person/email address; you will only be entered into and eligible to win the Sweepstakes in one Entry Period (i.e. the Entry Period during which you first subscribed to receive the Newsletter). Entries in excess of this limit will not be acknowledged. The use of an agency or any automated system to enter is strictly prohibited and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries received through such methods, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
- Drawing: On the Friday of each Entry Period (each, a “Drawing Day”), Sponsor will select one (1) potential winner in a random drawing of all entries received during the respective Entry Period. The odds of being selected depend on the number of entries received.
- Notification and Requirements of Potential Winners: Each potential winner will be contacted by email on the Drawing Day that their entry is drawn. If a potential winner does not respond within forty-eight (48) hours after the notice is sent, the Sponsor will select an alternate potential winner in his/her place at random from all remaining entries received. Only three (3) alternate potential winners will be contacted. Except where prohibited, a potential winner may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release. If a potential winner fails to sign and return these documents within the required time period, an alternate potential winner may be selected in his/her place in a random drawing of all remaining entries received. Only three (3) alternate potential winners may be contacted.
- Prize(s): For each Entry Period, one (1) winner will receive one (1) item from the Racked ‘Just One Thing’ list (as selected by Sponsor, subject to availability), each with an approximate retail value of up to One Hundred and Twenty Dollars (USD $120) (“Prize”) (i.e. a total of four (4) Drawing Days; one Prize per Drawing Day). Any Prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Winner is responsible for paying any applicable income taxes and any and all other costs and expenses not listed above. Sponsor will mail the Prize to Winner at such mailing address provided by Winner. The Prize may be subject to additional terms and conditions. A Prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. You may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a Prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the Prize is not available for any reason, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
- General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Sweepstakes is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Sweepstakes to address the impairment and then resume the Sweepstakes in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prize(s) at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by Sponsor to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to any online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The Sweepstakes is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
- Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Sweepstakes, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, and their parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Sweepstakes; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone, or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Sweepstakes or the processing of entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize. You further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Sweepstakes, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
- Disputes: Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Sweepstakes or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Washington, DC. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Washington, DC, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Washington, DC or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Washington, DC.
- Third Party Platforms: If this Sweepstakes is hosted, administered, or operated on a third party platform, including without limitation a social media platform (e.g. Facebook or Twitter) (“Third Party Platform”), then by participating in this Sweepstakes, entrants hereby release and agree to hold harmless such Third Party Platform from any and all liability, loss or damages arising from or in connection with the awarding, receipt, and/or use or misuse of prizes or participation in any prize-related activities. Unless otherwise stated to the contrary in these Official Rules, this Sweepstakes is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, any Third Party Platform.
Results: To request a winners list, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Vox Media, Inc. c/o Racked’s ‘Just One Thing’ Giveaway Series, 85 Broad Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10004. Requests must be received within four (4) weeks of the end of the respective Entry Period.