Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In a lot of ways, the world tells us that our dads are easier to shop for than anyone else: Just get him something related to grilling, golfing, fishing, or, like... tools and lawnmowers. In my family (and I suspect in yours, too), it's not so simple. My father isn't into those stereotypical dad activities (maybe with the exception of the lawnmower, reluctantly) and doesn't really like "stuff" in general.
More often than not, I try to gift him an experience, a book, or some "stuff" he really needs, clued in from my mom. Last year he had just started a new job, so I gifted him some nice leather loafers from Bass that he could wear to work; they were a hit. But it always takes me a few weeks to figure it out.
This June, I'm getting ahead of the curve. I asked my coworkers to help pick out some gifts that any guy would like — typical dad or not. Hopefully they'll give you some inspiration too, regardless of whether your dad's interests dovetail nicely with the messages inside the Father's Day cards aisle. Check them all out in the gallery below!
- Timbuk2 Transit Briefcase, $99
- Baxter of California Shave Set, $85
- Impossible Project Polaroid One Step Camera, $215
- Linjer Classic Watch, $249
- Saturdays NYC Lotus Print Board Shorts, $85
- Illesteva Capri Round-Frame Glasses, $180
- Allbirds Wool Lounger, $95
- J.Crew Cotton Gingham Pocket Square, $42
- BirchboxMan The New Essentials, $64
- Uniqlo x Theory Dry Comfort Zip Polo, $30
- Marshall's Monitor Bluetooth Headphones, $250
- Happy Socks Father's Day Box, $36
- MVMT Outlaw Sunglasses, $75
- Tile Slim Bluetooth Tracker, from $25
- Cole Haan Hamilton Grand Penny Loafer, $280
- The Monocle Guide to Drinking and Dining, $74
- Sleepy Jones Durham Travel Slippers, $98
- Future Relic Bronze Bottle Opener Keychain, $15
- Ernest Supplies Charcoal Bristle Bamboo Toothbrush, $8
- Typo Freshman Laptop Case, $20
- Nike Roshe Flyknit Sneaker, $160
- Thomas Pink Classic Two-Tone Cuff Knots, $10
- Thomas Pink Sudbury Stripe Woven Tie, $135
- Basic Outfitters Create-a-Drawer, from $60
- Everlane Twill Weekender, $98
- Away Father’s Day Gift Set (Carry-on Suitcase, Harry’s Razor Set, and Book), $245
- Burberry Yellow Sandon Card Holder, $93